The right SEO CMS can make or break the optimisation of your website.
An SEO CMS (Content Management System) in addition to being easy-to-use should also allow for simple and painless optimisation of your site. Ultimately, the goal is to strike a healthy balance between satisfying your organisational needs, increasing the usability of your site for visitors and fulfilling Search Engines’ requirements. Learn more about what you should look for in a Search Engine-friendly CMS.
SEO CMS tip 1: Customised keyword-rich URLS
– Look for a CMS that allows you to add customised, keyword-rich static URLs that are easy to remember. This makes it easier for the end-user and Search Engines to understand what the page is about.
SEO CMS tip 2: Customised title tags
– A Search Engine-friendly CMS allows for customisation of title tags so you can add keyword-rich text. A customised title optimised for this article for example may be ‘SEO CMS – Search Engine-friendly CMS | SEO Global Network.’
SEO CMS tip 3: Customised description tags
–The meta description is a guide for Search Engines to use as an accurate summary of a page’s content which (beneath the title) is displayed when a website is listed in the Search Engines Pages Results (SERPS).
SEO CMS tip 4: Customised anchor text
– Look for a CMS that gives you the ability to customise the link anchor text on web pages. The anchor text is the text that is underlined in a link to another page.
SEO CMS tip 5: Customised image-Handling & Alt (Alternative) Tags
- The ALT text
should provide relevant and keyword-rich content for the Search Engines as well as explaining what the image is about for end-users.
SEO CMS tip 6: Automatic updating of a sitemap.xml and RSS feeds
–When evaluating a CMS, look for one that automatically updates the sitemap file when site content is modified. The ability to add an RSS feed to your website can also boost site optimisation efforts.
SEO CMS tip 7: 301-redirects
– a 301 redirect ‘moved permanently’ is the most efficient and Search Engine-friendly method for webpage redirection but not all CMS will allow for the proper re-direction of content when necessary.
SEO CMS tip 8: Logical site structure
– Look for a CMS with customisable navigation to give you the flexibility of designing your site architecture in a way that is easily understandable by both end-users and Search Engines.
SEO CMS tip 9: Custom HTML tag enabling
- A Search Engine-friendly CMS should offer the function of putting <hx> tags or “nofollow” tags on links. These features can be built into the menu or allowed through manual editing of the HTML in a text editor window.
SEO CMS tip 10: Access to the whole site
– A SEO-friendly CMS will allow you to manually edit all parts of the website including the footer and sidebars and add cross-link paragraphs instead of users only being given the option of having it automatically completed for you.
Customisation is the key when it comes to choosing a Content Management System. When designing or redesigning your website, it’s essential to speak to an SEO company or consultant who can advise you on the best application for your optimisation needs. The experts at SEO Works can advise on the right SEO CMS to help you increase the usability of your site as well as the site’s visibility on Search Engines for relevant keyword phrases.